First Aid Kits - Essential Items
Whether you are heading out on a hike over the weekend or completing your Duke of Ed Adventurous Journey, these essential first aid kit items will help you and others stay safe.
If you are planning on going on a day hike (short or long) or a multi-day expedition, it is important for you to prepare accordingly. Items like food, water, phone/communications device, appropriate clothing and footwear are essential items you should be taking when planning on heading out into unknown areas or away from immediate help. Included in these essential items should be a first aid kit (FAK). From blisters to snake bites, a basic FAK should always be on hand as you never know when you or someone else may need it.
The following items are listed as per the Survival Handy first aid kit contents and are recommended as essential items for the adventurer, trail blazer or day tripper. Please note, some items vary depending on first aid kit models and brands.
- 20 x Adhesive dressings, sterile, individually wrapped
- Bandage shears, stainless steel
- Cotton gauze swabs, (3 in pack), sterile, 7.5cm x 7.5cm
- Hypo allergenic adhesive tape, 25mm wide roll
- 2 x Nitrile gloves (1 pair in CPR KIT)
- Note pad (located at the back of the First Aid Booklet) & pencil
- 1 x SMART Bandage, heavy duty, 10cm x 2m
- 1 x Emergency Blanket
- Resuscitation face mask, disposable, incl 1 pair gloves & 1 skin cleaning wipe (in CPR KIT)
- 1 x Saline, sterile, 30ml
- 2 x Safety Pins
- 4 x Skin cleaning wipes, with cetrimide (1 with CPR KIT)
- Splinter probes, (5 per pack), sterile
- Triangular bandage, 96cm x 96cm x 136cm
- Tweezers, rust resistant with tip guard, stainless steel
- Wound closures (3 per pack), sterile
- CPR Card
- First Aid Booklet
The following additional items are recommended by AusJourney to include in your FAK:
- Foam (for blisters) or blister kit
- Trekkers Wool or cotton wool (for hotspot and blister prevention)
- Ointment for insect bites
- Antiseptic cream
- Burn gel
- Soluble pain relievers
- Electrolyte replacement
- Personal medication, with instructions on how to use and/or administer
- Ventolin (for people who have mild to severe asthma)
Need to buy a first aid kit? AusJourney recommends:
- Survival - Recommended by AusJourney for multi-day hikes
- Camplist (partnered with AusJourney) - great starter kits for individuals.
- Most pharmacies
- Kathmandu, Macpac, Wildearth, Anaconda etc.
Have questions? Email or call us at email@example.com or 0480 270 314